January is probably the month that seems to get the most flack in my opinion, however this year in lockdown, it feels like the hate is much more subdued and I’m feeling that. January is one of my favourite months of the year, mainly because it’s my birth month. The actual reason though is I love the feeling of hibernation following the manic rush of Christmas that this month allows. The idea of a clean slate is also palatable too. With that in mind, I thought I’d share five things this January that I’m grateful for.
I’m going to bring back my ‘five things this month’ from the archives. These are my favourite posts to look back through and are like my online diary of what was going on at this time in my life. The last time I did this properly was four years ago, and you can read that here. So here goes…
- It’s my birthday this coming Wednesday. I’m turning 24 which means I’m officially an adult I guess. I always have a lot of guilt surrounding my birthday, namely due to the premature death of my cousin, (who I just adored growing up) at the very young age of 17. Every year older I get, the bittersweet feeling seems to linger just a little bit longer. However, on that sombre note, I am very excited that this year I will be in lockdown and can have a super low key celebration with Jamie. Maybe I’ll post a few things on my IG stories if I ever pluck up the courage to allow myself to distinguish between sharing snippets of my life and feeling like I’m bragging to the world. I really need to sort that one out.
- I’m going to be a NICU nurse too. I never in my life dreamed I would ever be interviewed for this position, never-mind have an official start date to commence this role. I feel very grateful and blessed, and I’m also hoping this will be my career home in the NHS. I can’t wait to see where it’ll take me.
- Baking is becoming my new hobby. From chocolate cake, to cookies, to scones, to banana bread, I’m really expanding my baking abilities and I just love it. My current obsession is the good old school cake we all know and love. I think I love baking so much because Jamie loves to help me, and it’s just quality time that always ends up in the deep belly laughing. Something which is very much needed in my life. If I can get my act together, I’ll share the recipes on this little section of the internet.
- Yoga with Adriene has been a daily ritual I’ve been trying to incorporate into my life. Not only does it make me feel physically better, but mentally I’ve felt so much lighter since starting. It’s my new years resolution, if you can call it that, to get my body moving and this certainly ticks the box.
- If you are an able, capable sewer, please make yourself known as I have just purchased my first sewing machine. I have no clue what I’m doing, and I can already feel the frustration I know I’m going to have. Learning how to sew has been a dream of mine for many years now, and I finally went what the hell and spent money to make it happen. I’ve set myself a little challenge to try and go a whole pay packet without purchasing any fast fashion clothes. I can only purchase second hand clothes. I’m hoping this’ll mean I won’t give up on sewing so easily.
Favourite song – Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo
Favourite TV Show – Bridgerton/Fate: The Winx Saga
What’s happened in your January?1